At the end of the first period at the TD Garden, the Boston Bruins trail the San Jose Sharks, 1-0.
- Rookie standout Logan Couture put the bad guys on the board with a a power play goal — back-hander that found its way past Tim Thomas.
- Mark Recchi (on a 2-on-1 with Patrice Bergeron) nearly put the B’s on the board first during that PK, taking Bergeron’s pass and deaking out Sharks’ netminder, Annti Niemi. But somehow, with the backchecking help of Dany Heatley, the puck squeaked wide.
- Milan Lucic just missed a rebound into a yawning net on the power play, but watched it soar over Niemi and just past the post.
- At the end of the first period, Adam McQuaid engaged in his 10th fighting major of the season against Sharks’ forward, Ben Eager. I think McQuaid will want a do-over as he was taken down by Eager in the corner. Oddly, McQuaid still had his stick in his right hand for most of the battle.
- The Bruins power play is 0-for-2 thus far.
Box score and other notes below:
San Jose: Couture (23)
San Jose: Clowe (28), Vlasic (10)
Boston: TEAM (2, too many men on the ice), McQuaid (5, fighting)
San Jose: (7, Eager, fighting and minor for roughing)
San Jose: 1/1
Shots on goal:
San Jose: 5
San Jose: 6
San Jose: 8
Boston: 4-for-14 (29%)
San Jose: 10-for-14 (71%)
Power play units:
Penalty kill pairings:
Bergeron–Recchi / Krejci–Wheeler
Ference–Seidenberg / Chara–McQuaid
The Hub of Hockey has been nominated for Bruins Blog of the Year. Please stop by TruFan.com and cast your vote daily!