February 22nd, 2012 by

Horton situation puts Bruins in a dark place

Nathan Horton, Jose Theodore, Florida Panthers, Boston Bruins

(Getty Images) Nathan Horton has yet to skate since suffering a setback February 5. It's unknown if or when Horton will return to game action for the Bruins

When Nathan Horton left the ice after he was struck by Philadelphia Flyers goon Tom Sestito in a Sunday afternoon matinée in Philly back on January 22, no one knew the extent of Horton’s injuries.

Fans and media alike speculated that Horton had received his second concussion in seven months, days later the Bruins confirmed what everyone had thought.

A couple weeks later Horton returned to the ice and was able to skate as it looked like No.18 was just days away from re-joining line mates Milan Lucic and David Krejci atop the Bruins  top line, but things didn’t go as planned.

Here we are a month to the day of Sestito’s undisciplined hit and the foreseeable future doesn’t seem so bright for Horton and the Bruins.

After yesterday’s practice in St. Louis where the Bruins are set to take on the red hot Blues later tonight, Claude Julien announced that Horton hasn’t skated since suffering a setback on February 5.

Late yesterday Bruins beat writer Joe Haggerty of CSNNE indicated that sources close to the situation told Haggerty that Horton is not close right now.

The unknown timeline of Horton, the injury to Rich Peverley and the recent struggles the Black and Gold have gone through over the past month and a half have left the Bruins in a dark place.

Some help could be on the way via trade as the National Hockey League’s trade deadline is set for this Monday. General Manager Peter Chiarelli spoke with 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Johnston and Flynn this morning and admitted he was looking to add some depth.

“Last year we talked about adding a couple more bodies and chemistry. We were fortunate to get a couple of players that had addition years on their contracts and fit into our two-way system” said Chiarelli.

“I can’t tell you those deals are out there. I would hope to add some depth and I can’t dismiss the bigger deals, but the prices for rental players are through the roof right. We paid a good amount last year to get some payers in – I’m not saying we won’t this year — but they’re through the roof.”

The biggest name on the market is Columbus Blue Jackets forward Rick Nash. The former first overall pick is one of the NHL’s best forwards and any team would be crazy to not want the services of the veteran forward, but the asking price for Nash is a bit too much.

Sources have indicated that the Bruins and Jackets have had discussions involving Nash, but the deal would need to include Bruins goalie Tuukka Rask, someone the Bruins refuse to move.

The Bruins have three more games before Monday’s deadline, if this downward slide continues throughout the weekend, we should all expect some new faces in the Bruins lineup when they return home Tuesday night to take on the Senators.

Share "Horton situation puts Bruins in a dark place" via

Add a comment

1 READERS COMMENTED

  1. Pingback: Horton to miss 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs with concussion | Bruins Daily April 11, 2012 [...] Returning to the lineup for the start of the 2011-12 season after sustaining a concussion from Vancouver Canucks defenseman Aaron Rome in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals, Horton played in 46 games this year tallying 32 points (17 goals, 15 assists) before sustaining another concussion from the hands of Philadelphia Flyers forward Zac Rinaldo back on Jan. 22. [...]

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.