Final score: ‘Canes 3, Bruins 0
- Not even a third period comeback was in the Bruins’ cards this afternoon.
- Boston outshot Carolina 37-21, but went 0-for-3 on the power play this afternoon
- For the first time this season, the B’s allowed three power play goals-against, snapping their streak of having killed off 18-straight times short
- Jordan Caron was a scratch today due to the flu — insert Daniel Paille, who had a rough outing. Paille played 4:06 in the first period, but finished the three frames with over 10 minutes total ice time. No. 20 coughed the puck over on a three-on-one shorthanded break, with Patrice Bergeron down the middle and Zdeno Chara crashing the offensive zone on the far wing. The result: Jeff Skinner’s (7) power play goal to put the ‘Canes up 1-0.
- Lucic–Bergeron–Horton combined for 15 of the Bruins’ 36 totals shots today
- Cam Ward looked liked Cam Ward circa 2005-06 Conn Smythe Trophy winner. The 26-year-old netminder earned his first shutout and 10th win on the season in a perfect 37-save performance.
- Tuomo Ruutu extended his point-streak to five games with a goal and an assist today. And rookie Jeff Skinner pocketed his seventh goal of the season and 18th point.
Boston dropped its fifth game on home ice of the season this afternoon, 3-0 to the Carolina Hurricanes at the TD Garden. It was the 10th time this season where Boston trailed after the second period.
Box score highlights and lowlights